Thursday, June 13, 2013

Final

1. What are your three most memorable experiences from this semester? Explain how they have impacted your learning.
           The three most memorable experiences from this semester were my trip to Europe, learning about the history of photography and my camera, and taking photos for the "Who Am I?" project. Visiting Italy and Spain has opened up my world a little more. It helped me learn how much I enjoy traveling and how I would like to do that in my career. The photography opportunities in a foreign country are vast and open to the photographer to capture. I enjoyed exploring with my camera and my photographs there.
           Learning about the history of photography and my camera were helpful to me because I didn't really know that much about photography history or about the different settings on my camera. I knew about the auto, landscape, portrait, and close-up settings but not about shutter speed or white balance or how to work out the semi-manual setting. Because of the work we did in learning a little about these settings and the history of photography, I feel like I understand my camera and photography a little better. Taking photos for the "Who Am I?" project helped me not to learn in a strict sense of the word, but to gain a bit more confidence in taking photos out in public. It was still nerve-racking for me because I was embarrassed and felt in the way and weird about it, but it was helpful to exercise that fear and take some steps in getting rid of the insecurity that came with it.


2. Assignment(s) of which I am the most proud of.
           I'm most proud of these two photographs. The first one, my portrait photo, is on here because I love that I was lucky enough to get the lighting and the scene to cooperate without really trying to manipulate it. I feel I did a good job with the rule of thirds, a high horizon line, and my focusing. I am happy the contrast between my subject's outfit and the background looks like it did at that moment, if not better. The blue is shocking compared to the subject's basic colors. I feel like the messy bun of my subject helped to make the scene come together better; if it was a tight, perfectly combed and placed bun, I don't think I would be as proud of this photo as I am.
           I'm proud of the second photo because when photographing nature, especially during snowy or rainy weather, is difficult. I chose a moment with an appropriate amount of snow already on the trees and snow in the air. I think the fact that you can just see dark greens and dark browns and greys make the photo better. The white covered roof, road, and background pop the trees in the foreground more. I'm happy that this photo had the perfect wind that blew the branches in the same direction instead of every which way like it normally does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment